Tuesday, July 17, 2012

So Much to Learn...So Little Time



During the past month, I have attended #ISTE12 and started professional development training through a Verizon grant.  Needless to say my head is swimming with new ideas for my classroom this year.  Here are a few of the things that I have heard about that I am interested in learning more about:

  • Flipped classroom
  • Inquiry 
  • Evernote
  • PollEverywhere
  • Voicethread
  • Twitter
  • Diigo
  • Camtasia
  • Blogging
  • Scratch
  • And more

Now there is no way any sane (not that I am completely) educator (trying to be completely) would try to incorporate half of these into their classroom at the same time.  One might argue that you would be doing well if you tried a couple.  I love to learn.  I especially love to learn about new technology, pedagogy, lessons, etc. that will help to make me a better, more complete teacher.  But if I want to truly learn and understand any of the above items well enough to use them with my students, I need to choose one or two and, watch tutorials, practice with them, read how others have used them, discuss with colleagues that may know about them, and put in a good amount of time doing so.  These are things I WANT to learn more about, that I’m EXCITED to learn about, and I am still feeling a bit overwhelmed.


Now think about our students?  Do they have a say in what they learn, how they learn it, and how much time they have to spend learning it?


I know the answers to these questions as they have pertained to my classroom, and I don’t like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment